Tuesday, November 25, 2008

2008 Conference - Un Exito!

I had hoped to blog much more often, but as it turned out, everyone was constantly working hard to make the event a success. And what a success it was!
I am still feeling overwhelmed emotionally and physically from the conference. The three days were jam packed with activities and new experiences. The one complaint was the weather - it was so windy, I imagined a hurricane was coming. Of course, I have never experienced a hurricane, but then again, this forceful, wicked wind was 100% new to me, too! We adjusted though and moved activities indoors. Day 3 was a combination of work and fun. There were two workshops in the morning, followed by office hours. The office hours were newly implemented this year. I hoped that the women would attend to ask any outstanding questions, or perhaps to speak to an instructor from a course they could not attend. To my surprise and pleasure, the office hours were attended very well and they had to be cut off of they would have missed the boat! This reinforced the determination of the women to take every advantage of learning opportunities.
I unfortunately missed the boat trip around Lake Atitlan because I was running all over town withdrawing money and paying instructors and other tasks, but from the photos, everyone appeared to have a wonderful time!
The evening concluded on a very positive, happy note with diploma presentations and photos. We lost the marimba band momentarily because they were still eating when we finished the ceremony. Luckily, Ron Waslohn from Vacaville surprised us all with his Kenny Rogers impersonation! The women danced the night away - doing the Som (traditional mayan dance), the Mexican Hat Dance, a Conga Line, and more until 10pm, wind and all!
I am already looking forward to 2009.

Jen

No comments: